[plug] Help! Fdisk Stuffup!

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Sun Nov 21 17:06:21 WST 1999

Woohoo! All recovered!

Nick Bannon wrote:

> > Boot linux from a floppy, Write a new partition table with the correct
> > values using Linux fdisk.
>
> Then try mounting thing read-only (mount -o ro) to see if they worked.

Bah! Read-only! ^_^

> Otherwise, try running gpart - you can download it from sunsite
> (/pub/Linux/system/filesystems) or ;
> http://home.pages.de/~michab/gpart/

This is how I did it in the end! Rummaging through the Debian packages I came
across gpart and it was just what the doctor ordered! Although it didn't seem
to like touching Logical partitions, it listed enough info on them that I could
recreate the FDisk entries, with no major hassles.

Definitely one of the most useful tools I've come across, for Disk Maintenance.
Next time I have partition problems, I'll reach straight for the gpart. ^_^

> Do you have another machine you can plug the drive into, or do you want
> to do it from a boot-floppy environment? (not that that should be hard,
> at worst you could get a staticly compiled copy)

Bah! I booted off the drive I was operating on. ^_^
The primary partitions were fine, which had the OS's on them, so the machine
could boot fine. It was just the 9 gigs of data on the Logicals that went AWOL.

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :