[plug] Rebooting my box to make changes to DHCP`

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Mon Nov 22 13:00:29 WST 1999

> On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 11:58:45AM +0800, Michael Hunt wrote:
> > Basically I run /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcp stop, which works ok. The
> problem I
> > have is when I do a /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcp start that I get these error
> > messages. The above works perfectly fine for all my other services.
>
> It's _possible_ for things not to die properly for various reasons,
> at which point something's gone wrong and all bets are off. It's still
> extremely likely that you can repair it without rebooting, mind you.
>
> After you've done the /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcp stop, try ;
> ps auxwww|grep dhcp

Well the stop definitely killed the process. A ps aux | grep dhcp before
showed the service running and after showed that it had disappeared. Trying
to run the start command brought up

Starting dhcpd:
Internet Software Consortium DHCPD $Name: V2-BETA-1-PATCHLEVEL-6 $
Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 The Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.
Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
exiting.
                                                           [FAILED]
> or the netstat. If it's still running, kill it directly (kill -KILL PID,
> where PID is the process ID) and then try the /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcp start.

I'd agree with you there. It certainly has to be something simple and easily
fixed, it is just where ???  This has become a bit of an advocacy issue as I
can't really sell a customer a box and tell them that the need to reboot the
box every time they make a change to DHCP. It makes it sound like it is NT.

I'll try the wait period option and see what happens. Maybe time to go and
grab some lunch ....