[plug] Rebooting my box to make changes to DHCP`

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Mon Nov 22 16:36:43 WST 1999

> > Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
>
> OK, I just installed DHCP. Should have done it ages ago.
> I see it listens on port 67, UDP.
> So try "netstat -an |grep :67". When dhcpd is running, you should see:
>
> 	udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:67              0.0.0.0:*
>
> Then stop dhcpd ( /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd stop ), and netstat again.
> Anything still there? Try restarting dhcpd.

Thanks Mike. I think we may have found the problem. Stoping of the service
using /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd stop and running the above netstat command
resulted in:

	udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:67              0.0.0.0:*

still showing up, According to the /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd script dhcp is
supposed to stop in the following manner:

 	# Stop daemons.
      echo -n "Shutting down dhcpd: "
      killproc dhcpd
      echo
      rm -f /var/lock/subsys/dhcpd
      ;;

Nothing wrong looking there. So what is causing dhcpd not to be shutdown
properly ??? Think I might take a wander around RedHats knowledge base.