[plug] pppd redialling too often

Dave T Burbidge dave969 at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 23 21:00:56 WST 1999

Steve,

I'm also with iiNet (that 10 min's can be a killer :(

'holdoff 600' works for me (even more annoying when I forget about it, and the
modem kicks in ten minutes later)

Sorry, no idea which version of pppd I'm running, but my full line is...

pppd /dev/modem 56000 connect 'chat <insert own script>' crtscts noipdefault
defaultroute usepeerdns modem proxyarp ktune :203.0.178.191 demand holdoff 600
persist

Note that the LINUX box is on a LAN, and handles the 'net connection for all
three PC's (why DEMAND & PERSIST are there - the IP address is one that pppd
listens to at my end - when something tries to talk to that, it dials up). The
other parameters can be found under MAN...

For a really silly thought, make sure you have the closing "'" in the correct
place on the CONNECT CHAT bit - is the HOLDOFF parameter on the wrong side (it
should be outside) - don't worry, I tried something similar myself when setting
up mine...

Hope this helps...

Dave!
--
Home  : http://www.iinet.net.au/~dave969/

This Murphy person has a lot to answer for!