[plug] fetchmail keeps dying

blockley at environ.wa.gov.au blockley at environ.wa.gov.au
Fri Nov 26 09:19:13 WST 1999

We could possibly help if you could give some more info.

Having said that I had problems with fetchmail yesterday.

I use:

fetchmail -d 60

and noticed that fetchmail died in demon mode after about a minute. It
turns out that there was a bad header in a message sent to me which
made it down the line somehow but caused fetchmail to choke.  To make
matters worse there was a lock file at my pop server end which was not
deleted after fetchmail died which prevented me from restarting
fetchmail in any mode.

It wasn't until the sysadmin on the server removed the stale lock file
and I removed the mailbox that fetchmail started to work again.

I note that your fetchmail dies after 10 minutes; I suspect that that
is due to fetchmail being run with the -d 900 switch which causes
causes fetchmail to run in daemon mode and check every 15 minutes.  It
looks like it is dying every time it  tries to contact the pop (or
whatever) server.

I did however get a couple of messages that indicated that there were
problems: