[plug] SQL client query

Dave T Burbidge dave969 at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 27 10:51:25 WST 1999

Greetings!

Here's a curly one ... well, for me anyway...

At work, we are currently running MS SQL server for our main database.
The clients are all Win95 with the MS SQL ODBC driver installed.

If I was to move the DB across to say, Postgres on a LINUX box <grin>,
how much work would be required at the client end(s). Will any SQL ODBC
driver work for any SQL server, or do I need to install new drivers for
Postgres?

Am I correct in assuming that all SQL ODBC drivers will take the same
calls, etc., so the VB front end won't need any re-programming, even if
I do have to change drivers?

Finally, as there is a speed issue here, has anybody tried the various
free SQL servers - which is the fastest? There is a fair bit of data
entry, and a couple of times a week, major queries are run to create
four multi-page reports (which tie up the LAN quite severely).

Thanks.

Dave Burbidge

(BTW, no I have never met the person with the similar name on this list,
and yes, we are different people, and no, it is not a typo :)

--
ICQ   : 19634125
Home  : http://www.iinet.net.au/~dave969/

This Murphy person has a lot to answer for!