[plug] Modems

Kenworthy Family billk at opera.iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 27 11:22:33 WST 1999

Hi John,
    here's my two bits.  My orig modem was a roadster 56b flex.  Was used
at 33.6 in the country for a year then in Perth using  iinet.  It gave a
normally rock solid connection at 46000 (to iinet), very repeatable.  Tried
to use it one day and found it red hot and no longer working.  Bought a
roadster2 56 ultra and not so impressed.  Often connects at 48k and above
(49333 at the moment) but is very variable, often manageing only 33.6.  It
will also connect at a higher rate and stick, successfully logging on and
then failing somewhere in the ppp scripts, requiring a hangup/redial.  In
short, K56 seems better than V.90 with iinets gear.  The V.90 also seems
much more susceptible to line problems, any time there are storms or high
winds around, it is likely to drop off, which wasn't a problem with K56.  I
am using the modem on a windows box at the moment, but woulnt expect that
to change when I move to the linux machine in a couple of months.

BillK

*** Netcomm also have a lifetime warranty - when I rang them, they gave me
the procedure (has to be sent east, approx 2 week turnaround) so warranty
looks ok, except no local support, would not have bought another netcomm if
I could have found a better warranty elsewhereb (i.e., immediate
replacement).  Will have to take advantage of the warranty soon.