Re; [plug] SQL client query

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Sat Nov 27 14:24:47 WST 1999

Dave,

Take a look at my early post "Four SQL server comparisons". A search of the
PLUG archives might also give you some more info on the issues you are
looking into.

My understanding is this: every SQL server has its own ODBC driver which may
or may not be up to the same standard as the SQl server end. So in
considering speed issues you must:

	(a) Consider the client end OIDBC drivers speed
	(b) Consider the SQL server end speed

By the sounds of it your are going to have to consider both sides in order
to get "faster speed" out of you database system. Is the current system slow
on the server end or at the client ? Does processor utilization go up when
you do your requests or is it more a case of network traffic or disk speed.
Do some investigation into where the bottle neck is in your current system
before switching it to a Linux solution because hypothetically it is
"faster". Experience has shown me that these things have a tendency to come
back and bite you if you don't do your homework. *grin*

One thing I might investigate if I was in your shoes is the ability to write
a web based solution for generating these "four page reports". If for
example the MS ODBC drivers were causing lots of network traffic and "tying
up the LAN" a web based solution could "hypothetically" mean little network
traffic with more of the work be done at the grunter database server end.
This could make the LAN more available to other users which could be the
solution to the problem.

Id say consider all the issues, find out where all the current problems
actually lie, and then look at all the possible solutions such as putting in
a 100 meg switch or more RAM for the SQL server before going down the
porting the app route.

Sorry if this sounds like it has come from a consultant because
unfortunately that is what I spend most of my time doing these days *grin*

And stick in there, because you'll get your linux box in there one day. And
if you do your homework when it comes time to put the best solution in for
the job, they will trust your judgment because it has been proved in the
past.

Michael Hunt