[plug] Just what's broken here?

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Oct 1 02:40:31 WST 1999

> John Summerfield wrote:

> > --------
> >
> > How serious are these messages, what should I do?
> > Sep 29 11:07:59 emu kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > Sep 29 11:07:59 emu kernel: hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
> > Sep 29 11:07:59 emu kernel: ide0: reset: success
> > Sep 29 11:08:19 emu kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > Sep 29 11:08:19 emu kernel: hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
> > Sep 29 11:08:20 emu kernel: ide0: reset: success
> > Sep 29 11:23:25 emu kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > Sep 29 11:23:25 emu kernel: hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
> > Sep 29 11:23:25 emu kernel: ide0: reset: success
> > Sep 29 11:24:18 emu kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > Sep 29 11:24:18 emu kernel: hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
> > Sep 29 11:24:18 emu kernel: ide0: reset: success
> > Sep 29 11:24:19 emu kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > Sep 29 11:24:19 emu kernel: hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
> > Sep 29 11:24:20 emu kernel: ide0: reset: success
> > [summer at emu src]$
> >
> > No error seems to be getting reported back to the programs reading/writing
> > to the disk (I'm building kernels).
> >
> I got a LOT of these on my main file server at work, in fact nearly a
> meg
> of them in the syslog..
> a Hard Powerdown/up solved the problem..
> In my case, they were caused by hot-plugging a zip drive into the slave
> connector on that port.. (Yeah I know..)
> But they appeared after about 2 days..
> Anyway, a power cycle solved the problem, where a hard reset would not..
> Indicates some hardware problem.. In my case temporary.
> I have also seen the same thing on an IDE hard disk with loads of
> developing
> bad blocks.. Due in part to a faulty PSU.. The hard disk is now cactus..
> Suggest you try a power cycle, then mount the drive as ro, do an fsck
> then
> a badblocks and check that all is ok..
>
> Good luck.. I hope it's a glitch..

It's a NEW DRIVE dammit. The system was booted, I mkfs.ext2ed the drive
and started using it and got all those messages.

At the moment I'm not game to use it for anything important in case it
goes back. It's got /boot and /tmp's a symlink to it.

The least disruptive way I have to move it is to put my 170 Mb drive back
and install the 8.4 Gb drive in place of my CD drive.

It was in another box a while while I reorganised things; it was idle most
of the time and I'm not sure I have log messages going back far enough. It
was making odd noises (like it recalibrated) at times even though it was
in use.

I do NOT want to take it back to be told the drive is okay.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield