[plug] Just what's broken here?

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Fri Oct 1 09:42:22 WST 1999

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, John Summerfield wrote:

> /dev/hda:
>  Model=ST38421A, FwRev=8.01, SerialNo=5BD070J3
> /dev/hdb:
>  Model=WDC AC32100H, FwRev=23.07N06, SerialNo=WD-WT335
> /dev/hdc:
>  Model=Maxtor 88400D8, FwRev=NAVX171F, SerialNo=L80FLY3A

Sounds like an incompatibility between the drives to me.
(I hadn't suggested this earlier, because you didn't say in your original
post that "It's a NEW DRIVE dammit.")

I have been told authoritatively that if you had put the WDC and the
Maxtor on the same channel you would have almost definitely seen problems

"WD + Maxtor (same channel) == cat and dog in bag."
 -- Andre Hedrick (the linux IDE guy.)

I don't know about ST + WDC on the same channel, but you might find they
have a problem too.  Can you swap /dev/hdb and /dev/hdc?

Alternatively it could be an incompatibility between the ST and the SiS
chipset "00:01.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems 5513 (rev d0)"
(do people still use SiS chipsets)

 - Matt