[plug] Just started with linux, need help

Ari Finander strictform at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 2 04:15:02 WST 1999

Okay!  Good news!  I've been able to get the cdrom/floppies/cdrive to mount
without difficulty...but only from the root login.  From a safe user login,
I can't get any of these to run (except cdrive, which I have set to mount at
startup) and also can't get onto the internet (linux told me that using the
internet under the root login was "stupid!").  When I try to have the cdrom
mount at startup, after a while it goes berzerk again and the system
freezes.  When I try to mount the floppy drive at startup, it doesn't
function, because there's no disk in it.  I know I'll be flamed for saying
this, but I kinda like the point and click activation of the windows OS for
the floppy drive *hiding*.  With regards to Oliver's feedback: how much does
VMWare cost?  I'd like to convert totally to linux for security reasons yet
still have my wife able to use her win95 applications that she simply cannot
part with.  First, though, I need to be able to use the cd-rom and get
online from a user account as I won't be giving her root access just
yet(she'll destroy something).

Ari
strictform at hotmail.com