[plug] SiSsy chipsets

Kenworthy Family billk at opera.iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 3 17:21:31 WST 1999

Yep - I have an integrated motherboard with a SiS do everything chipset.  Had to
wait until I installed kernel 2.2.12 before I had reasonable sound - alsa had
only limited support (no recording).  Still cannot get the video chipset to go
under xfree 3.3.3 and SuSe drivers - using an old trio card which at least runs X
fine.  When I sort out what's going on with the rest of the box (in the middle of
upgrading to gcc 2.95(done) and glibc 2.1 (to do) and some things are not working
as expected - Licq for one, I cannot get it to compile in socks support and their
list has been no help - if its not standard redhat, no upgrades, forget it) and
get some time I'll upgrade to the latest xfree which is supposed to work with the
video chipset.  Linux support for new hardware seems to lag 6 months unless you
roll your own - only so much time to go around!!
No disk problems with:
hda = Quantum bigfoot 4.3gig - reliable old clunker
hdb = Seagate 317242 17 gig - new, fast, quiet
hdc = Matsushita 12x CDROM
hdd = LS120

Which reminds me, had some problems with an LS120 disk and reformatted it under
windoze (the machine apparently has the required drivers) - can it be done under
Linux - need to keep a dos file system as its used for transferring data.?

BillK