[plug] new linux user

Jamie Moir moir at opera.iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 4 15:25:11 WST 1999

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Beau Kuiper wrote:

> > Yes, id agree there, but also i never thought that was a reason accept all
> > of it :)
>
> The binary only servers worked fine, but I do enjoy being able to roll my own
> (esp if I am playing with FreeBSD). What I really meant was that it is better
> to have the binary servers than none at all.

Ive only ever compiled x once, and it was best described as a debarcle,
its just that if noones got the source trhen noone can fix it and seeing
as its the linux community thats largely providing my support im LOATHE
to touch anything with binary only support for that reason.

> Oh, you actually listen to what the industry says about upcoming products :)
> I can see why the i740 is in a very bad light with you considering Intel
> promised the world with this piece, and delivered a sub voodoo 2 piece :-)
> BTW, I think the TNT driver for Xfree isn't fully accellerated yet, so there is
> some hope on that front (but don't quote me on that).

Yes i do, but with a pound of salt or two.  I ignore completely stuff like
'its bigger and better than everything else', i just nitpick when they
cant even deliver the physical hardware spec they promised.  Its sooooo
often done in order to make a product that isnt out and wont be looking
likely for awhile appear even interesting and intel are one of the worst
fudmasters out, i740, p2, usb2 v's firewire its quite a list

> Not impressed, my reaction compared to even the i740 would be shocking :)
> One question, do you have a 17" or larger screen. I only have a 15" screen and
> it could explain why you are so disappointed with the i740 cards. For large
> screens, I would definitly recommend the more powerful Matrox cards, even if it
> is much more expensive. Most cards are only designed to run well on small
> screens (and suck on large screens), but matrox cards run well on bigger screens
> :)

The difference is much less noticeable on smaller screens, i do however
have a 19" but first got a matrox on a 15"

> Damn, and I spent all my money on a cd-rom burner ($400) :)

Heh, i havent, yet :)

Jamie