[plug] For those who have not seen it

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Thu Oct 7 10:11:23 WST 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Bevan Broun <bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au>
To: plug at linux.org.au <plug at linux.org.au>
Date: Wednesday, 6 October 1999 16:20
Subject: Re: [plug] For those who have not seen it

>I think that MS having such an artical on their site says alot about
>what MS are thinking with regard to linux - they are scared, perhaps not
>in the desktop market but certainly in the server market.
>
>With regard to MS's quotes on performance I always want to yell
>"How does NT perform on a 486 or P75 with 16MB ram?" The answer is that
>is doesnt, at all.

We all know that, but corporate types don't use 486's and P75's with 16Mb as
servers any more.

What I liked was the comment about the security model.  How many users get
to log on to the NT server anyway, so all that 'fine-grained security'
becomes an advantage?  In most cases, NT servers just provides file, print
and database services over the network, where the security model is the same
for Unix and NT

Also, according to this page 'NT has been evaluated at a C2 level under US
Govt regs', etc.  Evaluated?  How about 'approved' or 'certified'.  I may be
mistaken, but isn't NT only C2 secure until you plug a net cable in?

bakes
--
Steve Baker (aka sbaker at icg.net.au) -- Integra Consulting Group
http://www.icg.net.au