[plug] trouble compiling zip drive support

GB gb at perthpcug.org.au
Thu Oct 7 12:30:10 WST 1999

Best way would be to build in support in a custom kernel, although if you
look at the parallel port page it goes through it all there.

I did a custom kernel (first one) using the Linux Pocketbook as the only
guide.. If you use xconfig (graphical kernel config program) and take your
time, it is easy!

Take your time, and look at help for EVERY option.. Some are not what you
expect.

Garry.

At 11:16 AM 10/7/99 +0800, you wrote:
>hi,
>need help with the following
>i have redhat 6.0 on a 166 with 32meg ram and have been having trouble getting
>my zip drive to work. when using rh5.0 i had no trouble compilling in support
>but under rh6 when i installed it on a new machine it couldn't find the zip
>drive.  now when i have made up a new kernal
>(Linux version 2.2.5-15 (gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2))
>everything goes as planned but when i reboot, the zipdrive is not
>found and when i try to insert the module mannually (ppa.o) i get the following
>unresolved symbol errors.
>
>/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol parport_claim_Rcca15f23
>/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_register_device_R064ebecf
>/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
parport_unregister_device_R3618c96f
>/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol parport_enumerate_R648d1e26
>/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol parport_release_R4430d136
>
>my zip drive is one of the older ones that would need the ppa driver and is
>going to be installed as a module and i have done the make modules, make
>modules_install
>
>any help trying to get this to work will be much appreciated
>tia
>
>barry

Windows 98: n.
 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
 written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.