[plug] Error starting RedHat 6.0 on a laptop

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Mon Oct 11 16:05:03 WST 1999

I thought "General Protection Fault" was something I would only ever see in
Windoze but anyway...

I have installed RedHat 6.0 on a laptop and in the early stages of
initialisation (basically within the first screen of text after LILO) I get
the following:

---------------------------
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.9)
general protection fault: 0000
CPU: 0
EIP: 0010:[<c0107196>]
EFLAGS: 00010046

etc
---------------------------

Given that the apm is the last item mentioned before the crash I would
assume that it is the cause, however I reinstalled and told Redhat NOT to
start apmd at startup.  It's got me beat.

My LILO boot disk causes the same errors and I tried booting into "linux
single" and the problem also still occurs.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Paul Baumgarten (email: paul at kcc.wa.edu.au)
Information Systems Manager
Kingsway Christian College
157 Kingsway, Landsdale, WA, 6065