[plug] NT and Linux coexisting

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Wed Oct 13 12:34:49 WST 1999

\>> > a) what type should I make the partition I'm going to put it on?

>> NTFS, unless you really want to write to it from Linux, then you could
use
>> vfat, with loss of security etc.  Remember to always create a partition
>> with the OS that will use it. ie dont use linux to create the NT
>> partition.
>
>Yeah, I don't really care about being able to access it from Linux - if
>I really need to transfer stuff between the two I can do that over the
>network.  As for the partition type, do you mean that I should just
>leave it as "free space" and let NT mark the partition type and make the
>filesystem itself?  I can't find any NT/NTFS partition type under cfdisk
>so I guess I don't have many options too.

Leave the space unpartitioned, as part of the NT install procedure it allows
you to create partitions.  Be careful though, since even if you want NTFS it
formats the partition as FAT, then converts it to NTFS later in the install
procedure.  FAT is limited to 2Gb, so your main NT partition is also limited
to 2Gb.  There may be a way around this.  Any new NTFS partitons created
once NT is running can be bigger.

I usually put NT on an NTFS partition, and I also create a separate FAT
partition which both OS's will share.  I don't trust the Linux NTFS code
yet.