[plug] Running fetchmail (or any terminal program) from a web page.

Garth Atkinson garth at cclinic.com.au
Fri Oct 15 05:39:41 WST 1999

Michael Hunt wrote:

> Hiya all,
>
> Just wondering about peoples experience/advice on running a shell program
> (like fetchmail) and sending the results to a screen. I have seen a very
> good use of the exec command in shtml file that enabled the user to bring up
> (or down) a pp connection and would like to implement the same idea for
> fetchmail.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas/advice on how to do this sort of thing ?
>
> Michael Hunt
Hello Michael

How was your holiday ? :)

You can run fetchmail 'single shot' (not as a daemon). Eric thought of
most things in this great piece of software and you have some very good
return codes to examine. You can exec it and either peruse these return
codes to generate your own output, or return the stdout/stderr back to
the user (bit ugly).

Garth