[plug] a file without a name

Tamara Thompson thompson at gate.sunquest.com
Fri Oct 15 05:35:20 WST 1999

Sorry, didn't phrase that well---the \177 is apparently the octal representation of unprintable characters.  What to do with that info....

Tamara Thompson wrote:

> Anybody know how to find out what a file is named if in ls it shows up with all data except the filename?
>
> ls -b   shows it as being named \177, but I can't find out anything more about the file with cat, or more, or vi.  Also 'file *' shows this file as the last entry in the list, with a : and no further data.
>
> Thanks,
> Tamara

That looks more like a directory to me, which would explain why ls
listed something, the files in the directory.

tony
--
System Administrator
Ballistics BBS and Internet Service