[plug] Editors

Kim Covil kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
Fri Oct 15 13:31:38 WST 1999

> Emacs! It has a vi mode to help while your are learning.
I am not even going to justify that with a comment...! oh bugger I just
did...

> > I use the standard vi... mainly because I use a lot of different systems
>
> Standard vi is available for Linux? Are you sure you use 'standard'?
> A SCO binary perhaps? Or did the latest owners decide to give it away?

OK I will reword what I meant... Most of my editting is on DEC alphas
running Digital Unix... then I occasionally use a couple of different
Sun boxes running various of the OS's that Sun comes out with... the
occasional SGI box and all my linux boxes at home... as I also log out
often have to get into these machine in bare bones states (Hard drive
failures, no X, escaped processes leaving very little processing power
to work with) I use vi and I tend to stick to the command set that is
common to all of them... what I call 'standard' vi... the vi I use on
my linux boxes is vim which I run in compatible mode...

Does that make things clearer...?

Kim

Kim Covil - Australian Geodynamics CRC   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            CSIRO Exploration & Mining   Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
            Western Australia  6009                            *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at it.net.au