[plug] Floppy Booting Linux

Kenworthy Family billk at opera.iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 15 20:12:13 WST 1999

I have an LS120 fitted as HDD but have not tried to boot from it.  The
motherboard bios has a setting specifically for LS120's.  There's a howto (html
format I think) I got from the net some months ago that gives the ins and outs.
I think it insisted that the bios was the key to booting from an LS120.   Also
may interest some, murdoch uni set up a slackware distribution on CDROM, boot
from a dos 1.44 floppy with the CDROM in, change to an dos formatted LS120 at a
convenient point in the sequence and there's a portable linux distribution with
a 120mbyte writable partition.  Somewhat fouled up in practise with root being
on the cdrom, no printer, no access to the hard drive etc and impossible to
change/reconfigure as most config files appeared to be on the CDROM, so it was
barely usable for the purpose intended.  When will frustrated sys admin types
learn that a computer is a tool and should be set up for the purpose it is to be
used for, not as an impregnable fortress when it is counter productive (much of
the demonstrations it was to be used for were wasted fighting the operating
system with most being inexperienced and out of their depth, and with root
unwritable most got lost in irrelevant details/errors without learning anything
except linux is an unusable pig (in one persons words)!!- linux copped a lot of
unfair criticism that was hard to defend with the example we were dealing with
in front of them,.from windows users who found a nearly unusable operating
system compared to the NT/95/98 they usually dealt with.

BillK