Understanding Unix, was Re: [plug] Cron scheduling

stephen. steve at newton.dialix.com.au
Sun Oct 17 20:43:51 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> > > No neophyte would think of that either.
> >
> > I think i see the problem here. You are making one huge assumption
> > that unix is intended for a "Complete Idiot" who sits down to use it.
>
> Don't be insulting.  I've hardly used Windows at all; no use comparing
> that with Linux.
>
> However, i have used an assortment of computers over three decades. Most
> modern sstems are designed to be easy to use. There's a good reason for
> that; time learned using a computer is unproductive; unproductivity wastes
> employers' money.
>
> >   Unlike with Windoze, that assumption is totally wrong. You must rethink
> > the situation a little. As a start, assume any linux user should get
> > a "Begin Linux" book. The APC pocketbook might make a good base point.
>
> The assumption ought not be wrong. Linux has many advantages over most
> other operating systems. However, it does NOT have to be difficult to use.

It's getting easier all the time - the gnome - kde desktops are helping
-
i just downloaded tkworld recently (a gui for various commands) a good
example
of what type of software new users can use without having to read
anything-

Ide like to see lotts of knowledgable people using linux and helping to
develop it -

it's also good to see that ordinary users without much knowledge are now
able to use it
especially as they are in the majority  and the more users of linux the
bigger the
and geater the commercial suport of this system will be I like to be
able to go out and
buy hardware & software and see the manufacturers support linux.
More and more products now have linux versions and support.

If linux could only ever be used by the smaller group of people who are
able and have time to read hundreds of man pages
learn how to compile source code and use editors like vi then that
support will not ever happen.