[plug] Linux is out, for now.

Rick (VK6EP) rickd at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 17 20:42:31 WST 1999

Well, today I ended my second foray into Linux. Not that it isn't a 'good'
operating system, it just isn't all that user friendly. (Easy)

I tried three of the latest distributions. RedHat, SuSE and Caldera. I
think RedHat may have been the easiest to set up and get going but none of
them presented a real difficult task, if you were careful to read the
instructions provided.

After that I began to have a few problems. For example, I downloaded word
perfect v8 but I was unable to get it to install. I'm sure I followed all
the instructions in the readme file but there may have been some I
misunderstood. A lot of the terms aren't necessarily written for someone
with a windoze background.

Undaunted, I made the effort to download, via the internet, star office v5.
Yes, the whole 68 plus megabytes. Had a few minor problems getting it to
install but eventually got it to work.   Then, when I came to set up my
printer, a HP DeskJet 520, I discovered that it wasn't supported. On top of
that, it ran as slow as a lemon.

I guess either Linux is not ready for me, or I'm not ready for it. Perhaps
in another year or three, I may come back and visit.

Now, I don't want to discourage anyone from playing with this operating
system, but, if you are going to use it as a serious tool, think carefully
before you purge your current system.

If your current system is already doing all you want to do, don't fix what
isn't broken. If there is something you want to do, that only Linux can, or
Linux can do much better, then let nothing hold you back. I believe, though
I haven't tried it, that it's about the best networking and server software
about. It's also very secure. So if you're a bit paranoid about others in
your family looking at your stuff, it's the ticket.

For those who read this and get upset, please don't. I am not flaming
Linux, just admitting that I am not going to invest the time to learn it,
just yet.

Cheers
Rick

E=Mail    - rickd at iinet.net.au