[plug] Linux is out, for now.

Oliver White ojw at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 17 21:57:56 WST 1999

"Rick (VK6EP)" wrote:

> Well, today I ended my second foray into Linux. Not that it isn't a 'good'
> operating system, it just isn't all that user friendly. (Easy)

Oh well. :-)

> Undaunted, I made the effort to download, via the internet, star office v5.
> Yes, the whole 68 plus megabytes. Had a few minor problems getting it to
> install but eventually got it to work.   Then, when I came to set up my
> printer, a HP DeskJet 520, I discovered that it wasn't supported. On top of
> that, it ran as slow as a lemon.

Star Office is way too slow. I do my word processing in windows, what
little there is to do.

> I guess either Linux is not ready for me, or I'm not ready for it. Perhaps
> in another year or three, I may come back and visit.

We'll still be here, no doubt. ;-)

> Now, I don't want to discourage anyone from playing with this operating
> system, but, if you are going to use it as a serious tool, think carefully
> before you purge your current system.

Works for me.

> If your current system is already doing all you want to do, don't fix what
> isn't broken.

Linux users do have the choice of fixing it themselves, though that may
not be much comfort for a non-programmer.

> For those who read this and get upset, please don't. I am not flaming
> Linux, just admitting that I am not going to invest the time to learn it,
> just yet.

Oh well. We're here when your propriatry tools fail you. :-)

--
Oliver White