[plug] Linux is out, for now.

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Mon Oct 18 12:14:15 WST 1999

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Darrell Horrocks wrote:

> I have to get new processor (why does everything hate Cyrix <SIGH>)

Because Cyrix don't do a perfect job at emulating the Intel, which
everything is written for. ;)
(or perhaps more accurately, it doesn't quite conform to the
specifications - more bugs in the Cyrix processor than there are in the
Intels)

Celerons are getting _really_ cheap these days.
(400MHz for under $150, and $250 for an ASUS BX motherboard + Socket 370
-> Slot 1 converter)

> So as an advocate for linux, I think that the tutoring role has to be toned down
> one stop.  And BASIC commands have to be taught, or recommend an online HOWTO
> command line (is there one?).

The Linux Documentation Project is always a good place the start
Try http://www.linux.org.au/LDP/docs.html and click on the
"Installation and Getting Started Guide" (HTML)

> There is a good joke file about this.......OSAir.  I wonder if anyone
> has it ;-)

It was most recently posted to this list a couple of months ago.
I found it by going to the online archives
(http://www.cantech.net.au/plug) clicking on the search.html and typing in
"airplane"
It found "http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/08-1999/36.html"

 - Matt