[plug] Linux training course

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Wed Oct 20 13:41:27 WST 1999

Joel - wrote:

> have you got a complete topic outline for the day that I could have a look
> at?

The complete topic outline is still being sorted, but will include a
basic installation including a discussion of partitioning and mounting
(do it simply this way, or you can complicate it for various reasons);
touch on configuring X, mice, NICs, modems; the pros and cons of the
various window managers and how to "futz" with your desktop,
Windows-user fashion; use of a few basic tools like file managers,
notepads, GIMP, screen capture, mail agents; set up of a PPP connection;
typical installation-from-source procedure (we'll pick a recent version
of a decent game and install that) and example commercial installation
(probably StarOffice 5.1 because it's useful and free); if we get time,
we'll diverge to sound cards and the apps that drive them.

Some knowledge of computers, and particular the Borg's operating system,
will be presumed, and some things (like devices) will be discussed in
terms of their differences from same.