[plug] linking to different drives

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Oct 21 14:24:53 WST 1999

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Kenworthy Family wrote:

> As an aside, it was a 17gig disk and I know the figures are rubbery and linux
> also reserves a buffer out of the size, but 500meg out of 4.3 gigs and
> approximately the same from each partician of the 17 gig seems a bit over the top
> - anyone know what linux does with the space?

It is reserved for root - so when the drive gets close to running out,
users can no longer write to the drive, but root can still log in and fix
the problem.
You can change the amount allocated with tune2fs
(but heed the warning in the manpage:
"Never use tune2fs to change parameters of a read/write
mounted filesystem!"

 - Matt