[plug] Linux Spot Quiz

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Oct 21 15:41:49 WST 1999

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Mike Holland wrote:

> Good. But why dd rather than just 'cp'?

Because older versions of cp might have problems with the symlink pointing
at a non-existing file. dd should work regardless because it just reads
from an input and writes to an output without trying to be smart about it.

Besides, I'm still from the school of thought that uses
(cd olddir&&tar cf - .)|(cd newdir&&tar xvpf -) instead of
"cp -a olddir/* newdir/"

> So the shell filename completion doesnt work.

Works for me (on bash 2.x) - bash stars the completion from the = sign

> Bonus points for the experts:
> Do you know any way to create a hard link to the file, so he doesnt even
> need to break the download?
> (kernel patches not accepted)

I guess you could write a small perl script or c program that would hold
open the /proc/ file, and then when the ftp program finishes, write it to
another file.

If the FTP server handles REST, however, wget is your friend.

> Certainly. Cash transactions subject to rounding.

D'oh. Can I have a CD with w2k on it then, to do evil stuff with in the
microwave? :)

 - Matt