(offtopic) 56k modems, wasRe: [plug] What you give shall you receive....

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Oct 22 09:57:56 WST 1999

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Garth Atkinson wrote:

> I have configured a simple PPP link between two 56K modems. In one
> direction I can achieve the wonderful throughput figure of 5.6 Kbytes

Ummm ... Curious.
I would have said thats impossible, at least using normal phone
lines, unless you have an incredibly good line. _Is_ this across the PSTN
(testra)?

  56k (V??) is not a symmetric protocol. It normally requires a didital
connection, no modem, at the ISP end. The modem can only transmit at 28k
but receives faster.

I'm sure one could easily find loads of info on the web.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--