[plug] ICQ and a Linux gateway

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 23 20:08:13 WST 1999

I've got a request-for-assistance from those in Plug who know more than I do ...

I'm going to be setting up a Linux server to act as a gateway to the net - Masquerade, DIALD, Squid and so on.  I've (more or less) done that on my machine here and understand what needs to be done.  However, the people using the existing Win-98 machine to connect to the Internet are very heavy ICQ users, and it's been made clear in a firm-but-friendly way that ICQ had better work when the Linux machine handles their net interface.

Bearing in mind the obvious need for ipchains to keep both the server and the internal network secure, how do I handle ICQ?  What ports does it use? Can the Linux server be made transparent to ICQ (i.e. in this context, will the other 4 Win-9x PCs on the network all be able to ICQ to each other (I know, I know, crazy !!) and to the world outside?).

Any advice/comments are very welcome.

Thanks,

Paul