[plug] Mandrake 6.1

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Sun Oct 24 01:46:39 WST 1999

"Rick (VK6EP)" wrote:
> Having just got the November issue of APC, I read in it a small article on
> Mandrake 6.1. The author makes the claim that Mandrake is 'pentium tuned'.
> That is, the kernel is set up to work on anything from a pentium onward.
> Will not run on a 486 machine.

Think it will still run, at least, there is a 486-DX2-120 (!) sitting
over there <waves right hand towards laundry door> which runs Mandrake
6.1 just fine.

> He also says that the distribution comes with software installed for CDR,
> what he called, very good software.

xcdroast, cdrecord, cdparanoia, etc all included and work fine and
clone/make both digital and audio CDs from an X interface or
command-line. That and three CD players, three MP3 players, etc etc...

> This may be a good reason for me to have another look at Linux and so soon.

Always! (-:

> Is it possible to get a copy, locally? I work in the city block, most days.

Sure, $5, delivery times not guaranteed. (-: depends on when I visit the
city, or I can snail-mail it :-)