[plug] Query about apache and "Jitterbug".

Buddrige, David david.buddrige at mitswa.com.au
Mon Oct 25 12:27:19 WST 1999

Hi all,

I am currently trying to install jitterbug
(http://samba.anu.edu.au/cgi-bin/jitterbug) (which is the bug-tracking
software produced by/for the samba team), to operate through an apache
web-server.

I have created a user "jitterbug" which I wish to use as the owner of the
jitterbug process.

Step 6 of the install notes for jitterbug say this:

<QUOTE>

6) Set up secure access to the jitterbug binary through your web server. I
normally only setup authentication for PACKAGE.private and leave out
authentication for PACKAGE. This way you will have a public interface called
PACKAGE and a private interface called PACKAGE.private. To do this under
Apache edit the file access.conf
like this:

        <Location /cgi-bin/PACKAGE.private>
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName PACKAGE
        AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/auth/apache.auth
        <Limit GET POST>
        require user PACKAGE
        </Limit>
        </Location>

Then you follow the Apache documentation for the process of setting up
apache.auth. If you don't want to have 'cgi-bin' appear in the URL you can
specify something like this in the Apache file srm.conf:

        ScriptAlias /PACKAGE /data/httpd/cgi-bin/PACKAGE

Have a look at the existing ScriptAlias entry for cgi-bin first.  You will
need to restart apache (or send it a USR1 signal) for these changes to take
effect.

</QUOTE>

Having no previous experience with Apache (or Jitterbug), I am unsure what
they mean by public and private authentication in this context.
Furthermore, my install does not have the file /etc/httpd/auth/apache.auth -
indeed there is no "auth" directory at all under /etc/httpd/...

I am also unable to find the documentation that would describe how to create
an apache.auth file (ie, what it should contain within it).

Is anyone able to explain this to me more clearly... (Sorry, it's a bit of a
mystery to me)...

The task as I read it is to:

	"Set up secure access to the jitterbug binary through your web
server".

I have the binary, stored in a /home/jitterbug/bin/ - I created a jitterbug
user to control the jitterbug program.  I am now attempting to determine how
to set up said "secure access" to this binary...

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered...

regards

David Buddrige