[plug] Advt: Support jobs at Linuxcare

Dan Shearer dan at linuxcare.com
Mon Oct 25 17:36:20 WST 1999

G'day Pluggers,

A few of you I know, most I don't. My name is Dan Shearer, I live in
Adelaide and have recently started working for Linuxcare, a global Linux
support company that has some of its global capacity run from Australia.
Now we are increasing our existing staffing for support specifically aimed
at local (Australia and near neighbours) support. The following ad is for
people to physically be in Canberra. All Linuxcare support for this region
will be based in Canberra. Other lines of business are based elsewhere.

Regards,

Dan Shearer
dan at linuxcare.com

New Support Positions with Linuxcare
------------------------------------

October 1999

http://linuxcare.com.au/

Have you ever thought of working for Linuxcare? We are:

  o Independant - we deal with Intel, PowerPC, Sparc, ARM and others
    running Debian, SuSE, Red Hat, TurboLinux, Mandrake and more. Our
    only leaning is to prefer open source in everything we do

  o Global - headquartered in San Francisco but running our R&D and
    global support escalation centre out of Australia, with operations
    in Japan and Europe besides

  o Comprehensive - we offer support from individual incidents through to
    24x7, and a range of related services such as certification and
    training

  o Community supporters - we strongly back numerous community projects,
    and give back as much as we can. We know where Linux came from

Linuxcare is expanding its local support operation in Australia and is
looking for a support engineer and a senior support engineer to join our
Canberra office. We are seeking people with a broad base of Linux
experience and the ability to solve problems quickly. Experience in the
development or deployment of open source software will be a significant
advantage.

The support engineer position has a salary range of $45k-$55k depending on
experience and qualifications. The successful applicant will be expected
to handle email, phone and fax support calls of moderate complexity,
passing on more complex calls to a senior support engineer as needed.

The senior support engineer position has a salary range of $55k-$65k
depending on experience and qualifications. The successful applicant will
be expected to handle more complex support problems and liase with
Linuxcare in San Francisco as needed. Some professional services duties
will be required from time to time (that is, supporting customers in a
less real-time manner, perhaps by developing some new code or redesigning
some system that isn't working properly.)

Linuxcare has a policy of encouraging employees to contribute to the
development of open source software and documentation and to take an
active role in the open source community. Evidence of current
contributions to the open source community will be highly regarded in your
application.

If you want further details on either of these positions then please
contact Andrew Tridgell by email at tridge at linuxcare.com or by phone
at (02) 6262 8990.

Resumes should be sent to jobs at linuxcare.com.au