[plug] Symbolic links v's entries in fstab

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Tue Oct 26 09:17:52 WST 1999

Hiya all,

I know this question was raised recently but I never saw the answer to it
(and I am not sure if my problem is exactly the same).

I have created a root partition on my main disk (hda with home directories
and other stuff on a second disk (hdc). My intention was to put my mail
spool here, but I got the location wrong during the install and now my mail
is residing on the first disk (root) and not the second disk.

My question is what is the best way of getting the info to the second disk.
I prefer the fstab entry but not entirely sure how to go about doing it. I
envision it is something like:

1. Copy files to second partition (all those in /var/spool/imap)
2. Rename existing directory
3. Modify entry in /etc/fstab
4. Restart machine

A symbolic link would just replace step 3 (and not require a reboot of
course) but while it is easier to do from what I hear it would not be the
best solution.

Anyone got any advice to give me / Would my plan work ? I do intend to
disconnect the machine from the network at the same time as I do the copy so
that files are not modified.

Thanks for the help so far.

Michael Hunt