[plug] pppd

Dean Wright dwright at space.net.au
Sat Oct 30 23:28:39 WST 1999

Garth,

Thanks for the help, but I am still having prob's.

here is what I have in my login.config file

"pppd debug kdebug 1 192.168.10.10:192.168.10.11 +pap login asyncmap 0
passive"

is that all I need in there?

this is what I have setup in my options file

asyncmap 0
crtscts
local
lock
modem
passive
-detach
-ip
+pap
debug
kdebug 1
login
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4

Are these right? I'm not sure.

I dialed in with hyper terminal and I can login ok, but if I try to use
dialup networking it gets to the verifying password point then waits for a
bit then I get disconnected. So I went and checked the messages and ppp_log
files and there was only the info from when I restarted the box from the
kernel, nothing from pppd.

could my modem string be wrong?
or maybe my settings on the win98 dailup? which are

type of dialup server: ppp
advanced options: enable software compression
protocols: TCP/IP with both server assigned addresses checked, ipheader
compression, use default gateway.

also I am not really sure what I need to have in my ppp-secrets file

any ideas on what I am doing wrong (probably heaps)
please bare with me I'm still on that really steep learning curve

Dean

"Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on, what
is a balm anyway?"
- Jackie Giles  (Seinfeld)