[plug] pppd

Dean Wright dwright at space.net.au
Sun Oct 31 12:03:36 WST 1999

Garth,

Below is what I had in my mgetty.tty.S0 file after I tried to dial in, it
only logged the first time I tried, I also dialed in at around 11:30 but as
you can see it didn't put anything in here about that.

I have in my pap-secrets file "dean * dean"

in the entry for 10/31 10:58:56 it has user='CONNECT 38400' does this mean
that my win98 dialup is passing 'CONNECT 38400' when pap is expecting dean.

here is my mgetty.ttyS0 file:

10/31 10:49:39 ##### failed dev=ttyS0, pid=242, got signal 15, exiting

--
10/31 10:58:56 ##### data dev=ttyS0, pid=129, caller='none', conn='38400',
name='', cmd='/bin/login', user='CONNECT 38400'

--
10/31 10:59:35 yS0  init chat failed, exiting...: Invalid argument
10/31 10:59:35 ##### failed in mg_init_data, dev=ttyS0, pid=143

--
10/31 11:01:16 ##### failed A_FAIL dev=ttyS0, pid=144, caller='none',
conn='', name=''

--
10/31 11:01:48 ##### data dev=ttyS0, pid=147, caller='none', conn='38400',
name='', cmd='/bin/login', user='/AutoPPP/'

--
10/31 11:02:26 yS0  init chat failed, exiting...: Invalid argument
10/31 11:02:26 ##### failed in mg_init_data, dev=ttyS0, pid=148

as for messages and ppp_log there was nothing entered at the times I tried
dialing.

I was reading that for pppd configuring I should have an entry in the passwd
file for a ppp group is this relevant for my current setup, I have added the
user dean and this is in there.

I was under the impression that pap will allow the remote login if the user
is a valid user of that machine.

thanks for your help
Dean