[plug] Re: disk imaging a la ghost

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed Sep 1 09:55:08 WST 1999

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, [iso-8859-1] Chris Cornish wrote:

> Mike
> Ghost will actually do the same with linux's EXT2 filesystem as it will
> with any file system.

But if you're backing up an EXT2 file system, why not use a tool more
suited to the job, like perhaps "tar(1)"?
If I want to ghost a machine, I tar up the whole drive (or partition) I'm
interested in, install the base system of Debian on the target machine and
untar the big tarball on the target drive.
Works a treat - then all I have to do is edit some files in /etc/ to
customize the machine.

 - Matt