[plug] Re: APG Matrox Millenium

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 1 14:50:19 WST 1999

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 11:01:32AM +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Mark Saxon wrote:
>
> > Is any one running the the matrox Millenium G200 APG card.
>
> You mean AGP, right? :)

I think he does. ::-)

> > Is support in xfree okay?
>
> Works great (FAST!) with X version 3.3.3.1 and above (using the svga
> server)

That's the ticket. If you're running something older, just download the
new Xserver binary, drop it over your current one and see if it works
with all your current configuration.

There's some bar charts on ;
http://www.xig.com/Pages/AGPBarCharts.html

which show how great the Accelerated-X X-server is (I haven't played
with it myself, but I'm told it really is pretty good and a very cost
effective way to speed up your machine). However - it also shows the
G200's doing pretty damn well on XFree86 compared to some of theother
offerings.

> Also works great with the Matrox framebuffer found in 2.2.X kernels

So I hear. I also need to get around to playing with GLX and accelerated
3D on the Matrox - betas are available now.

Personally, I went for the SDRAM OEM version (ie plain card and a Windows
CD) rather than the SGRAM retail box. Saves $100, and the performance
is still very nice with the SDRAM as far as I can tell. Definitely worth
the step up over a bog standard S3 or something.

http://simline.ii.net/
http://rtv.ii.net/

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal