[plug] Tracking system problems...

Christian christian at global.net.au
Thu Sep 2 14:40:34 WST 1999

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Anyone know of some good Linux tools for tracking down system problems, such
> as runaway programs? eg; monitoring of resource usage, and logging of any
> abnormal or prolonged resource hogging...

I would have thought ps(1) would provide all the info you would need -
although top(1) may be useful, as David suggested, for immediate feedback,
particularly of CPU utilisation.  vmstat(8), free(1) and procinfo(8) (part
of the sysutils package in Debian) may also help with memory issues.

There are of course plenty of other more sophisticated utils out there
(including the GNU accoutning stuff) depending on exactly what you want to
do.

Hope this helps,

Christian.