[plug] censorship in australia

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Thu Sep 2 15:56:28 WST 1999

<snip>

> This is an issue that affects everyone on the mailing list, and a number
of
> people on the mailing list are ISP's.
>
> Also, there are issues here, such as whether these "screening programs"
are
> going to be functional on Linux, whether they are going to be functional
at all,
> how they will affect a user's download speeds, system performance, system
> stability, system security, etc.
>
> Given that the feral government has apparently approved legislation to
allow, or
> otherwise allowed, the government "security" (or insecurity!)
organisations to
> breach computer security, by covertly entering a user's computer, and
given that
> the USA governments are on the verge of allowing software companies to
remotely
> disable software, the issue is one that is probably quite appropriate for
the
> mailing list. How do we know, and what assurances do we have, that the
> "screening software" will not be so used to breach a computer's security?
>
> Do you know, Garth, what the effects of the issue will be on the aspects
of
> Linux systems, as mentioned above? Do you know to what degree the
applications
> will interfere with, or disable a Linux box, or an Apache web server, or
the
> Linux mail applications, or other applications on a Linux box? Do you know
> whether the screening programs will interfere with ipchains and other
> firewalling and gateway software? Can you guarantee that what you believe
about
> these issues is absolutely correct?

<snip>

For people interested in this I would advise reading the actual proposed
code of practice! (always a good idea to have knowledge regarding an issue
before talking about it ;-)

It can be downloaded from the Internet Industry Assoc:

http://www.iia.net.au/code.html

I have only briefly read the document but already know that I am exempt from
it under section 12B4(b).

I would also assume that most Linux users could be potentially exempt under
section 12B4(a) and I quote:

>12B.4  The preceding Clause (the one that says thou shalt use NetNanny or
the like) shall have no
>application in respect of the supply of Internet access services by an ISP
to the following classes
>of users:
>(a) commercial users who already have in place some form of Content
filtering or control, whether
>by means of firewall technology or otherwise, such as is likely to make the
use of the measures
>listed in the Schedule unnecessary or redundant;

My interpetation of this would be that a sysop who programmed their firewall
(using IPchains or whatever)
to block sites that would reasonably need blocking then you don't need a
commerical 3rd party solution,
thus alleviating any security concerns associated.

Obviously if you are using Linux at home you aren't a commerical user and
this doesn't apply... sorry :-(

Paul Baumgarten (email: paul at kcc.wa.edu.au)
Information Systems Manager
Kingsway Christian College