[plug] Beastie Linux Server ...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Sep 3 14:22:07 WST 1999

Leon Brooks wrote:

> > We are looking at a SMP solution (Dual PIII's most likely), with Hardware RAID
> > .. Our Hardware/sysadmin guy is currently researching RAID cards (UDMA66, etc
> > ..)
>
> Yeah? And just how many hits a day does the existing server cop?

Why do you ask? If you're wondering if we need the grunt, trust me, we do.
This Intel solution is an alternative, as we're unlikely to get the Two Sun
E250's we want, due to budget problems. $10k for two Intel boxes is cheaper
than the minimum $80k for the two Suns...

We average around the 100000 hits/week mark, and our current server is coping,
but:
  - We are moving towards dynamic content, which needs CPU grunt
  - Amount of resources handled by the server is increasing
  - Under PEAK load (eg; can we say Exam Results?) the current machine dies on
its ass

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :