[plug] MGETTY (Word of Advice)

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Sep 7 07:24:02 WST 1999

> ADVICE UNSOLICITED
>
> Noone else except for me is likely to make such a basic, but frustrating
> error. When setting up mgetty to listen in to a dial-in connection
> remember to use EXACTLY the same device that pppd is dialing out on. If
> you don't the lock files bugger up and you get an annoying niggly glitch
> in that mgetty will work fine but it won't let you dial out.
>
> Therefore if you have a symbolic link from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS1 (as
> I do), make sure you get mgetty to respawn onto /dev/modem NOT directly
> onto /dev/ttyS1 or you'll be spending hours stressing like I just have
> :-)

Following recent discussion of voice mail etc, I decided to have Another
Go (TM) at getting mgetty and its friends going.

I know already that my modem is CrippleWare(tm) - it's a Banskia Wave SP
33k6 and only does class 1 faxing, so that bit's pretty irrelevant (though
I do know efax drives it). However, it is supposed to do voice so I
thought it worth another go.

On reading the documentation I found copious amounts on faxing, I found
how to set up mgetty to take incoming data calls and pass them on to pppd
or something else, and I found the warning that would prevent me from
inflicting myself with David's Little Problem.

I also discovered that there is one page on setting up voice; it says the
relevant information was too out of date to be useful and so had been
excised.

I did note that kvoice is supposed to be able to configure this, and I
plan to give it  go when I've debugged it and complained to the author: it
expects faxes etc in /usr whereas it should be looking in /var (/usr is
supposed to be able to be mounted ro).

In the meantime; does anyone have information on setting up voicemail?

btw Replacing the modem is on the cards, but not until the Banksia dies
(it keeps threatening) or my IAP offers a 56K service, likely later this
year.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield