[plug] Potato Upgrade

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed Sep 8 15:53:47 WST 1999

G'day All..
Well, the first side-effect of a slink-->potato upgrade is my ftp daemon
is gone.. Not a trace in the netstd package.. Oh well.. I'll install
proftpd instead..
I guess that's why they call it the unstable tree..

Also.. some more on the dual sound card bit..
The sound skipping problem appears to be related to the ESS crap cheapo
card I'm using.. It does not have a 16 bit dma channel and tends to chew
up lots of time while playing..
Tested this by looking at the skips while playing on each card one at a
time, while copying 600Mb from a fat32 partition to an ext2 partition.
The ESS skipped well and truly the worst.. it actually slowed down the
sound.. Where as the SB16 just skipped a bit, but it blacked out the
bits it missed and kept going at the same pace.. so the tempo remained
the same..
Also.. some speed tests showed that there is bugger all difference
between read speeds on an ext2 partition and a defragmented fat32
partition...

Cheers...
Brad..