[plug] Mandrake Distribution

Kim Covil kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
Thu Sep 9 10:55:46 WST 1999

> I was just wondering if anyone knew mauch about the Mandrake Distribution.
>
> I've been told this is good to use, but I wanted some other peoples opion on
> what distribution to use.

It's the one I now use in preference to RedHat... I haven't tried
Debian, Suse or any of the other big dist groups so I can't compare to
them... (the little play I had with slackware when I first started I
don't think qualifies me for much)

As for comparing RedHat to Mandrake... I like the changes they have made
to the installation and the way the put the packages they choose
together... it just seems tidier... I haven't benchmarked them so I
don't know whether the pentium-class recompilation Mandrake does is as
effective as they say...

Mind you RedHat 6.1 will probably be out soon and will hopefully fix
alot of the differences up... (and then Mandrake 6.1 will also be out
soon *grin*)

My usual recommendation for choosing a Linux dist is to first determine
whether you know anybody else who is running Linux and go with their
recommendation... they are the ones who will probably be helping you
most when you start...

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - Australian Geodynamics CRC   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            CSIRO Exploration & Mining   Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
            Western Australia  6009                            *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at it.net.au