[plug] SQL Servers

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 9 15:47:57 WST 1999

From: Paul Baumgarten <paul at kcc.wa.edu.au>
> I'm looking for SQL database servers that run under Linux.  I know that
> there is always freebie options like PostgreSQL and MySQL however from
what
> I have heard these packages won't cope with running a medium sized
> organisation such as a school.  At the same time we can't afford the $20K
> plus for something like Oracle.  Something for up to a few thousand is OK
> though.  What ever solution we get needs to be pretty much fully
compatiable
> with the SQL standard.

I've used MySQL quite a lot now - one system kept all the Oz phone numbers
(10.7 million of them) amongst other things, and was respectably fast.

Purists (no denigration here) don't always care for it because it doesn't
support transactions or foreign keys. Both true, but the damn thing runs
fast.

YMMV of course !

Paul