[plug] IDE Hard drive not detecting

Christian christian at global.net.au
Thu Sep 9 21:26:46 WST 1999

Hi all,

I've just transferred a IDE 1.2 GB drive (a couple of years old) from
being the primary master in the old machine (where it worked just fine)
to being secondary slave in the new.  The BIOS on the new machine
detects it fine, Windows detects it fine, Solaris detects it fine but
Linux can't see it and this is a bit of a problem since I'm hoping to
use LILO as the boot manager to boot Solaris off it. :(

I've tried several different kernels (2.2.11, 2.1.131 and 2.0.34)
without any success. I've also tried passing the geometry (as specified
by the BIOS) to Linux on boot in which case it registers a /dev/hdd
device but reports it as "non-IDE drive" and when I try to access it via
fdisk etc. it refuses and I get a kernel message about invalid geometry
and invalid number of physical heads.

Can anyone suggest a way to get Linux to see this drive?  All and any
help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Christian.

--
What is research but a blind date with knowledge?
							- Will Harvey