[plug] HELP! File recovery

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Fri Sep 10 11:16:26 WST 1999

Thanks to all the people who offered advise to my little rm misadventure.

My server is plugged in again and I have my precious C code back.

As a reference for others the successful forumla I used was:

# egrep -200 "string_that_I_know_is_in_my_file" /dev/hdc1 >
~/output_dump_file
# strings ~/output_dump_file | less

I was actually quite impressed.  egrep took only 5 minutes to scan through
the contents of a 6 Gb HDD.

(note this rescue will work on text files)

Regards

Paul Baumgarten (email: paul at kcc.wa.edu.au)
Information Systems Manager
Kingsway Christian College