[plug] Recommending a SQL server

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Sep 10 15:08:49 WST 1999

> MySQL seems quite proud of being compliant to various SQL specs, yet you
> rejected it out of hand. Is this a simple case of them majoring in the
> minors, or is there more to it than that?

There is a difference between SQL and "relational." SQL is a programming
language (a small one to be sure). "relational" is a term used to describe
the engine behind it.

However the vendor (please interpret that word generously), if it doesn't
meet the criteria laid down by Codd & Date, it's not relational.

Some years ago (early 80s) I was an ADABAS guru. At the time Codd & Date
were developing their relational theory, Peter Schnell in Germany was
writing code that fairly closely matched the developing relational theory.

About that time, Cincom, I think it was, announced their RDBM, a product
called Supra. At a presntation I attended they asserted (with justice as
far as I could tell) that no other DBMS (including Db2) was relational.

About that time "relational" became "flavour of the month" and everyone
(even Ashton-Tate) claimed that their DBMS was relational.

Also at that time DB2 ran like a lame dog; IBM was busily selling IMS and
inviting people to have a look at DB2 for their less-critical applications.

In Perth (I learned later) SEC wanted to have a look at DB2. It discovered
it had to upgrade its operating system (from MVS to MVS/XA) and (I think)
hardware just to run it.

In Canberra, everyone from the ANU to the ABS bought ADABAS; we did not
present it as relational (it wasn't) but it was somewhat close, and a
supporting product, Natural, was pretty good.

> I notice that the MySQL test website fails a lot of functions under
> PostGreSQL, and since it marks as "not present" a lot of functionality
> which _is_ present in PostGreSQL I am wondering about its integrity -
> but it might have marked them "in absentia" for a variety of reasons.
> Have you looked at that at all?

As I said, I looked at the specs and didn't like what I saw. I also didn't
like the fact that its authors think it acceptable to implement decimal as
real (or maybe double; neither is any good).

> Since you don't rate with PGSQL or MySQL very highly, are there any SQL
> engines that you _do_ like?

I've used mainframe DB2; that's fine. I know the OS/2 version is
relatively light-weight and I imagine there is no significant difference
between the OS/2 and linux versions.

I've had a bit of a look at Oracle; setting it up on Linux is a bitch.
Once it's set up I'd be disappointed if id didn't do a good job - some of
the world's largest RDBMSs are managed with Oracle.

I had a quick look at Informix; setting that up is relatively difficult
too. Again, as it's a high-end commercial product, I would expect it do
perform well.

I've not looked at Sybase at all, but ditto-;)

Understand that with commercial products, you're generally getting a lot
more than just a file server that implements SQL (which is basically all
the PG and MySQL are).

When I used DB2 on a mainframe, programs were written in PL/1. Programs
went through an SQL preprocessor that inspected the source code for SQL
statements, validated them against the target DBMS and replaced the SQL
with equivalent PL/1 code. A few lines of SQL could evaluate to pages of
PL/1 code, and you could be sure the PL/1 code would work.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield