[plug] Modem sharing

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 13 10:55:09 WST 1999

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 07:39:48PM +0800, Garth Atkinson wrote:
> Hello Nick

Hiya.

> That first link to the metalab site looks like a very elegant solution. I

Yes, very straightforward. I suspect that's pretty much all the proprietry
implementations do.

> didnt download the sredir tgz. Are you trying to get a linux host to connect
> to a modem being shared from a MS Windows server (sic)?

No, but I was interested in seeing what options were available.

Actually, given the choice, I'd go for a network solution in the first
place, or dedicate a terminal server to the job. (Stallion, Cisco, etc)

Application <--- network, possibly via modem ---> Application

_should_ be simpler than

Application <- emulated serial port -> <- network ->
  <- network serial server -> <- actual serial port -> <- modem ->
  <- possibly the whole same thing on the other end -> Application

> I would presume Backoffice uses a proprietry protocol for modem sharing. I
> am not aware of any standards in this area so if needed, Micros~t would just
> create  their own.

Well, if OS/2 did it, compatibility with that is a possibility, but yes,
unless told otherwise I'd suspect the worst. <grin>

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal