[plug] "Welcome"

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Sep 15 13:35:48 WST 1999

Oliver White wrote:

> I'm interested to see how mozilla fares as competition when it comes
> out.
>
> Leon Brooks wrote:
> >
> > I see on LinuxToday.com that a fifth way has been discovered of writing
> > arbitrary files on an IE5 user's computer (this is 5 within the last 2
> > weeks). I think the application should be renamed MS-Doormat.

I haven't paid much attention to these vulnerabilities (since I don't
use IE5 and have no sympathy for anyone who does) but I think they are
mostly ActiveX-related problems and since Mozilla won't be supporting
ActiveX (I assume!) it will probably be a whole lot more secure.  Of
course, Netscape has had its fair share of problems too - mostly due to
JavaScript but the freely available source code (and free license) for
Mozilla will hopefully mean these problems are found earlier and fixed
quicker than IE5.

Regards,

Christian.

--
A conference is a gathering of important people who singly can do
nothing but together can decide that nothing can be done.